Friday, October 18, 2013

Pilgrimage

pil·grim·age
n.
1. A journey to a sacred place or shrine.
2. A long journey or search, especially one of exalted purpose or moral significance.
intr.v. pil·grim·agedpil·grim·ag·ingpil·grim·ag·es
To go on a pilgrimage.


Why would I, a mother with two young children, take a giant leap of faith to travel to a part of the world I had only heard travel warnings? I kept saying it was for Wynray, and in many ways it was. Now that I've been, I know it was as much for me as it was for him. It was a pilgrimage. 



My consistent experience in Ethiopia is that you might think you know what's going to happen when you wake in the morning, but then the day has it's own ideas, and you just hang on for the ride. The last few days have been like that. A wild and wondrous ride. I've learned so much, felt so much, seen so much... and LOVED so much. 


My plan was to try to blog daily as internet allows, but the last two days in Gambella knocked my socks off. I want to be able to fully express my experiences, but I'm still processing. I want to tell this story right. It is a beautiful one, and I want to do it justice. 


I could write a novel about the last three days, and maybe I will. 

I can't wait to share in more detail the pregnant goat transport, the last day with Amino and family, the visit to Wynray's orphanage in Gambella, a story of modern day technology and sibling love from Gambella to Missouri, a great grandmother claiming to be 120 and by chance (?) wearing a t-shirt from the new home of her great grandson adopted in Michigan, shopping at the Gambellan prison, and also telling you about the man who made ALL of it possible. Fekadu, my friend and guide, deserves his own post. The world needs to know the work he does connecting adoptive families and birth families. He is a treasure. 

I promise to fill you in. But for now the pillow calls. I meet the Project Hopeful Team in just a few hours and we journey south to Awassa. I send my love to all of you back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment