Wednesday, December 8, 2010

We found our Ethiopian wise man in Spain...

It's been a while since we've posted. We've been busy, busy. We took Kysa on her first international trip to Milan and Madrid. She was amazingly happy ALL the time, especially on the plane, much more than her parents were. She also didn't seem bothered by the time change or jet lag. I guess this is one of the benefits of not having her on a specific schedule, she just went with the flow and slept when we slept.

It feels good to have an international trip under our belts with an infant, although I know how to distract and comfort Kysa. I'm sure it could be a different story with Mamoosh (Amharic word for baby), but nevertheless the experience gives me a bit of confidence.

One of the things I wanted to get in Spain was a nativity scene. I know in Spain the three wise men are cherished and celebrated AND they observe that one of the kings was from Ethiopia; King Balthazar who bore frankincense. I found an adorable nativity scene at the Mercado San Miguel. So I'm super happy to report that we now have an Ethiopian presence in our house. He's tiny, kingly and cute, and yes, he's black....and he has a place of honor on our table.

Fredrik has since informed me that the 3 wise men were actually 12 Chinese men...but I'm not sure where he gets his facts.

We had the last of our blood work done today and the social worker comes tomorrow morning for part 1 of our homestudy. I probably should be on my hands and knees scrubbing the shower or organizing my sock drawer...

But since I am procrastinating, it is with great joy I present to you,
King Balthazar of Ethiopia via Spain
(I kinda have a crush on him):


No comments:

Post a Comment